Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Catching up & Shows # 36, 37, 38, & 39

Wassup everybody! Yes, I have been neglecting this little missive of mine for a while now. But I've sort of got a lot going on right now. And I should probably take the time now to admit that I realize I'm not gonna be able to really even get close to 100 this summer. And considering I'm really not going to be able to doing much standup at all once the school year starts, I think it's gonna be best if I just say this is going to be the summer of as many shows I can do, and I'll still do more than most. Admittedly, I won't even be trying to grind it out quite at the level I was. I', gonna have to take a lot of evenings actually to get my first draft done of Alice. But I'll still tell you guys about every show, get video of as much as I can, and continue to have an amazing summer along the way. Sound good? Great!
After I got back from San Diego is was a few days before I was able to make it back out to some shows, do Wednesday night was my first show back.
Show # 36: Pepperbelly's, Fairfield, CA. The first spot was open, of course, so I took it. And I tried a pretty new set. With some new stuff mixed in with some old stuff. Got a pretty good response, I felt. Hung out for a few minutes after my set. But got back in the car pretty quick to get to...
Show # 37: McGrath's Pub, Alameda, CA. Yeah, this is definitely one of my favorite rooms right now. It seems pretty consistantly full with regulars and a good bunch of comics. I don't remember exactly when I went up. 3rd, 4th, 5th? Something like that. But I had a pretty good set. People were laughing. And OJ was hosting. That guy brings so much energy to a room when he's hosting it can't help but be a good night. By the end of the night, everybody was so chill, we ordered some food from La Pinata, Rick closed down the bar and we all hung out for a while. It was a pretty bad ass night, actually. Long, but bad ass.
Show # 38: Purple Onion, San Francisco, CA. Thursday was a different story altogether. I was really excited to be back at the Onion but, to be honest, it was a little disappointing. Not that the night wasn't good and I not that I didn't have a good time and not that I didn't give those 5 minutes my all, and I got a pretty good response from the audience that was there. It just wasn't quite the high of last time. The one really cool thing, my friend Elizabeth, a friend of mine from school, came along to support which I greatly appreciated.
Show # 39: Impala Lounge, San Francisco, CA. Friday night was frickin' awesome. Impala is a really cool room. My buddy and soon to be room mate, Mackie guy, came with. "Bears!" We knew it was going to be a fun night when right before the show started, some off duty day shift strippers walked in and started being really loud. Obviously, they were about to get messed with all night. I went up third and they were still there, so I started doing my fat stuff and waited for them to get loud, then, since we had a cordless mike, I went out and starting messing with them. They were talking to these guys in business suits by the bar, so I mentioned that they were probably looking for a sugar daddy type situation, or at least trying to work some money from these guys and asked if they were aware of the seduction technique known as Whispering. Then I demonstrated the close up, breast graze whisper technique on one of the guys. That shut'em up for a few minutes, but I had to yell at them one more time before my set was up. They left after my set. So Mackie and I hung out the rest of the night. A bunch of the Pepperbelly's comics were there, so it was cool to hang out with those guys in the city for once. So now you guys are all caught up.

No comments:

Post a Comment