Saturday, August 7, 2010

Shows # 28 & 29

I had a great time tonight!  I started the night with a plan, or more like the hope of a plan, I should say.  The plan was, 1.) Napa Valley Roasting Co. open mike at 6p.  2.) Monkey Club at 8p.  3.)  Hope I could get into Pirate Cat at 10p.  4.) Finally, I thought I heard there was going to be a late night open mike after the show at Il Pirata, at midnight.  Didn't exactly work out that way.  What did happen was...
Show # 28: Napa Valley Coffee Roasting Co., Napa, CA.  I love coming here!  And I felt bad sort of hitting and running there last night, but ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do.  They are always so supportive and ready to laugh there, and I get to put a little spoken word into my summer when I go there.  Plus, who doesn't love being laughed at by hipster high school kids and their parents.  It's like I'm back at summer camp, with caffeine.  I accidently dropped the F bomb at the end of my spoken word piece.  It doesn't really matter a whole lot(and it got a cheer from the hipster high school girls), but there were a few young kids there, and I'd meant to take it out.  Anyways...
Show # 29: Pirate Cat Radio, San Francisco, CA.  As I was leaving the coffee shop, I checked Juan's profile and his status said Monkey Club was cancelled.  So I tried a few leads on rooms I found on sfstandup.com and on openmike.org, but they both turned out to be rooms that didn't actually exist anymore.  So I headed into the city anyways, and went and checked out Impala Lounge, Eric Murphy's room.  Nicole Turley and Nina G were both doing the showcase and having a dual birthday party, so I wanted to stop by and say Happy Birthday(which is to say I wanted cake, especially considering I lost track of time and had to duck out to get to Pirate Cat and forgot to say anything to either of them).  Plus I'd never been, and I'd like to get in there sometime soon.  And it was a pretty cool room.  Right in the center of North Beach, nice stage, hot girls serving drinks.  Ran into Paul Brumbaugh there, too, and I think I am going to be on his radio show in a few weeks, so that'll be cool.  Then I headed over to Pirate Cat.  I was the first person there, besides Greg and Howard, the hosts.  And Greg immediately let me know I was going to get to go up, which made me happy.  Although, they were having some technical issues, so I went up first but it wasn't until like 10:45 or something.  Which turned out to be a good thing, cause it gave time for people to actually show up.  And my set went pretty good, I thought.  Nobody threw Pringles at me or anything, so it seemed a little uneventful.  But the process of wanting to get into a room, and then actually getting into it is always fulfilling, so that felt good.  When the show finished, I sent a text to Heather to see if that Il Pirata late night thing was happening.  She did the show there last night, with Kaseem Bentley and Jabari.  but she said that had just been a rumor, so I hung out with everyone at Pirate Cat for a while then called it quits and headed home.  Not quite the night I was hoping for.  But still pretty damn good.  Later.

Favorite line of the night:  "Oh, you're a software engineer?!  My Iphone has been a little gltichy recently.  Fix it now.  See?  How do you like it, lady?" - Chris Duncan

No comments:

Post a Comment